Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Motivational Story....

I found this story and thought it was very inspirational. I did not write it, but I wanted to share it with you:

A wonderful motivational story for any age…..

The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder.

I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that that lit up her entire being.

She said, "Hi, handsome. My name is Grace. I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?" I laughed and enthusiastically responded, "Of course you may!" and she gave me a giant squeeze.

"Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?" I asked.

She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married, have a couple of children, and then retire and travel."

"No seriously," I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age.

"I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting one!" she told me.

After class we walked to the student union building and share a chocolate milkshake. We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized listening to this "time machine" as she shared her wisdom and experience with me.

Over the course of the year, Grace became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and she reveled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up.

At the end of the semester we invited Grace to speak at our football banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor. Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell you what I know."

As we laughed she cleared her throat and began: "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. "You have to laugh and find humor every day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die. We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it!"

"There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up. If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight. Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding the opportunity in change."

"Have no regrets. The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets."

She concluded her speech by courageously singing The Rose. She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives. At the years end Grace finished the college degree she had begun all those years ago.

One week after graduation Grace died peacefully in her sleep.

Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.

Lessons:

1. You are never too old to learn.
2.  Laugh and find humor everyday .
3.  Don't let change overwhelm you, let change help you find opportunities you may have never seen!

Advice

Do you have a dream, a wish, then turn it into a goal today - break it down, take one step, then another and accomplish your dream. -- Joshua Cransbury

21 comments:

  1. That is such good advice!!!

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! As you will see from my blog, I started my first ever degree aged 43; my husband was an upholsterer for 25 years and has just completed a degree, aged 44, and is now a forester.

    Just Do It! :-)

    J.J.

    http://dreamsandreality-jj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great motivational story. I think we all need a Grace in our lives to remind us to live wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me teary. What great advice. My husband was recently laid off and instead of moping around he at 53 just returned to school. I am so proud of him. I graduated with my BA at the age of 42. If you are not working towards something you are working towards nothing.
    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a great post. we can always learn if we allow ourseles eliminate age and want knowledge. with change we can learn more about ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh to be more like Grace....

    Carol-the gardener

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found out I am dead!!!!!! :( I guess my family doesn't ever have to worry about the depression killing me or anything now then since I'm already dead then, right? lol Is that morbid?

    See, depressed people can make jokes. They just make everyone uncomfortable. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Java: "Have no regrets. The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets."

    I have done absolutely everything I ever wanted to do in life (except skydiving, which I am saving for last), and I am finding new adventures every day.

    Thank you for your inspiration. You have a great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read this to my hubby and he wants to know who wrote it. It's wonderful! We all need a Grace in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice...a great post....Happy Sunday....

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I have to copy this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A most excellent way to start Sunday morning - inspired! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://the-forbidden-question.blogspot.com/

    I thought I would share my virgin blog. It really is a positive one. Just as you mention going for your dreams, I was reminding myself that all dreams have a reason. We are the only only who can make them happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful. I will start trying to channel my "Inner Grace" immediately. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting from Mailbox Monday :) Following GFC. Would love a follow back.

    Enter my giveaway for a cool Tummy Tub or Baby Food Mill. Also have BLOGLIFT special for mom bloggers...only $40 :) (whole blog makeover + free custom logo)!
    Thx CraftyMom

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your site!! Love your attitude!! I am your newest follower..

    I did grab your 40 and over button for the Friday fun :)

    Please stop by and visit me sometime
    http://cindyseesit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!